Forum of Lithuanian History

Forum of Lithuanian history is a place for discussion on the urgent problems of the Lithuanian history. Share your opinions!

Moderator of the forum - Tomas Baranauskas

Our website - Medieval Lithuania
viduramziu.istorija.net/en/

[ Taisyklės ] [ Правила ] [ Rules ]

Medieval Lithuania
Search | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The palest ink is better than the best memory." Chinese Proverb
- (Added by: Tomas Baranauskas)

Is Cimerman name common?
[Frozen]

View previous thread :: View next thread
  Frozen      FORUMS -> Lithuanian Genealogy Message format 

Lutz Szemkus
Posted 2005-07-27 23:52 (#26818 - in reply to #26400)
Subject: RE: Is Cimerman name common?

Gabija - 2005-07-17 2:43 AM

I am interested in finding relatives of a friend of our family. Her name was Elena Cimerman (westernized name form), born February 20, 1902, possibly in Kaunas. She left Lithuania during the 2nd world war, however her husband and son remained in Lithuanian (possibly in Kaunas). I have tried to check for her son (Valka) or anyone with the last name Cimerman and found quite a few in Kaunas. Is Cimerman a very common name in Lithuania? I have some photographs that I would like to give to Elena's family.

Any information anyone could provide would be very much appreciated. Elena was like a second mother to me.

Kurschat's German/Prussian-Lithuanian dictionary of 1870 has "cimermonas" and "cimerninkas" for "Zimmermann" (carpenter) and a few other derivations: "cimerninkawimas", "cimerninkaju", "cimerninkaudinu"...there seems to be no "genuine" Lithuanian stem.
So this Cimerman family in Kaunas might have come from Prussia originally.
In the "Annaberger Annalen" of 2004, there's an article on German parishes and schools in Russian-Lithuania: http://www.annaberg.de/aa/2004.html
Lutz Szemkus
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software