Forum of Lithuanian History

Forum of Lithuanian history is a place for discussion on the urgent problems of the Lithuanian history. Share your opinions!

Moderator of the forum - Tomas Baranauskas

Our website - Medieval Lithuania
viduramziu.istorija.net/en/

[ Taisyklės ] [ Правила ] [ Rules ]

Medieval Lithuania
Search | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Если хочешь видеть, что было тысячу лет назад, вникай в современность; если хочешь познать огромное множество вещей, начинай их изучение с одной или двух." Сюнь-цзы
- (Added by: Tomas Baranauskas)

Allans history and Volyn name - Allan origin?
[Frozen]

View previous thread :: View next thread
  Frozen      FORUMS -> Beyond History Message format 

MST
Posted 2006-04-01 15:12 (#36196 - in reply to #36190)
Subject: RE: Allans history and Volyn name - Allan origin?

Veteran

Hello Orbit,

Thank you for explaining the issue.

When I mentioned the Ossetians I was referring to them as the only Alan group that have survived as a coherent nation. The other tribes must surely have integrated into other nations.

There is a URL that may be of interest to you.

http://www.lietuvos.net/istorija/sarmatia/sarmatia.htm

I have a book about Sarmatians and there is reference to archeological finds in the Black Sea area of the Ukraine, Porogi, Sokolova Mogila, near Nickolaev, Ukraine, and Azov. These relate to quite high ranking Sarmatians or Alans. It does place them without doubt in the Ukraine and given that they were nomadic there would be movement.

So there could have been several waves of migration but I guess that the time zone you are looking at is after the defeat of the Romans when the Alans seemed to go off in all directions.

One point I would make which may seem a little strange. There was a comment on a web site about the legacies that the Sarmatians that came to the North West area of England had left. There was a remark that the cattle in the area were descended from the Poldonian Grey Steppe breed introduced by the Sarmatians.
Apparently the Sarmatians introduced this breed of cattle into a number of areas.

Regarding the Alans in France, a British tribe from the South West of England were driven out by the Saxons. They settled in Brittany and intermarried with the Alans that settled in the same area and became known as the Bretons.

In 1066 William, Duke of Normandy laid claim to the English throne and Fought Harold Goodwin at Hastings. William conquered England and the Dukes of Brittany
(Alan decendants) fought in the battle. These Alan descendants would have been given lands in England and would have been powerful lords.

So there were two waves of Sarmatians/Alans in England which may have both given rise to the Arthurian legend.

In the bibliography of The Sarmatians 600 BC - AD 450 there is reference to a number of ancient works which contain significant references to the Sarmatians.

Ammianus Marcellinus AD c330- c395 Rerum Gestarum ('Histories')

Vegetius (Written c390 AD) Epitoma Rei Militaris. ('Epitome of Military Science') Translated L P Milner 1993.

All other primary sources are much earlier than your time scale.

Secondary works

Bernard S. Bachrach, A history of Alans in the West, Minneapolis 1973

Bernard S. Bachrach, Armies and Politics in the Medieval West, London 1993 (collection of essays)

J. Harmatta, Studies on the History and language of the Sarmatians, Sezged 1970

V. Kouznetsov and I. Lebedynsky, Les Alains, cavaliers des Steppes, seigneurs du Caucase, Paris 1997

D. Sinor (ed.) The Cambridge History of Inner Asia 1990

Tadeusz Sulimirski, The Sarmatians, London 1970.

Good luck with your theory.

Kind regards

Maureen

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software