Forum of Lithuanian History

Forum of Lithuanian history is a place for discussion on the urgent problems of the Lithuanian history. Share your opinions!

Moderator of the forum - Tomas Baranauskas

Our website - Medieval Lithuania
viduramziu.istorija.net/en/

[ Taisyklės ] [ Правила ] [ Rules ]

Medieval Lithuania
Search | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Прошлое - родина души человека. Иногда нами овладевает тоска по чувствам, которые мы некогда испытывали. Даже тоска по былой скорби." Генрих Гейне
- (Added by: Tomas Baranauskas)

wild horse
[Frozen]

View previous thread :: View next thread
  Frozen      MULTILINGUAL -> Multilingual Forum of Lithuanian history Message format 

Vors
Posted 2006-09-28 14:37 (#40120 - in reply to #40110)
Subject: RE: wild horse

Expert

I have tried several times to contact people in Lithuania about this subject, but all the time I got no reaction. I do not know why they did not answer. Maybe English is not the proper language in Lithuania to use for this purpose, but perhaps nobody knows anything about the subject. 

English is OK, but the subject.. There is a little knowledge about fauna of ancient menageries.

In XIV-XV centuries Trakai was a royal residence . Menagerie of Trakai was enstabilshed by Grand Duke Vytautas (Vitovt, Vytold in other languagies) in an end of XIV century. All we knew about its inhabitant in XV century is an only line in the memoir of traveller Gillebert de Lannoy (1392-1462) who visited Trakai in 1414: "There are bisons and other game". Also it is knewn, that Vytautas had lions: a gift from Teutonic Order. Later Grand Duke of Lithuania, brother of Vytautas Žygimantas (Zygmont) had a pet baby bear.
Menagerie of Trakai probably existed till mid of XVI century, when other royal menagerie was enstabilshed in Vilnius.

Never heard about menagerie of Rūdininkai, bat this village was a property of Radvila (Radzivil) house. Radvilas was one of most powerfull magnates in GDL. Small menageries at a noble mansions was usual.

Edited by Vors 2006-09-28 14:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software