Forum of Lithuanian History

Forum of Lithuanian history is a place for discussion on the urgent problems of the Lithuanian history. Share your opinions!

Moderator of the forum - Tomas Baranauskas

Our website - Medieval Lithuania
viduramziu.istorija.net/en/

[ Taisyklės ] [ Правила ] [ Rules ]

Medieval Lithuania
Search | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "History is the science of what never happens twice." Paul Valery
- (Added by: Tomas Baranauskas)

Lithuanian circular of 1578
[Frozen]

View previous thread :: View next thread
  Frozen      FORUMS -> Forum of Lithuanian history Message format 

Linas
Posted 2009-05-02 01:41 (#61153 - in reply to #61143)
Subject: RE: Donalitius

Expert

Herkus - 2009-05-01 12:34 PM

Herkus - 2009-04-30 10:50 PM

As far as I know Donelaitis used in his written documents always the latinzed form "Donalitius" , but he was a prussian lithuanian by heart and tried to support the lithuanian element in his home area. Donelaitis is the lithuanian form of his name as Doneleit is the german form and all are correct to use, dependent in which language. Both forms were used in the past in Eastprussia. The latin version of course not so often, only by educated prussian lithuanians which were exceptions at these times.  

I know that it is stupid to quote myself, but I just read the book of Lutz W.Wenau "Einst war es die Große Wildnis" (Once it waas the Great Wilderness") where he describes the history of the Donaleitis/Donalies/Donalitius Family in Eastprussia. And for this family name were existing several versions. For Christian Donalitius /Kristjonas Donelaitis he has found also several possibilities in historical sources: His family name was originally "Donalaitis", as this version was used also for his brother Friedrich Donalaitis. He himself was written as Christian Donalaitis as he was matriculated for his studies at the university of Königsberg. After his studies he wrote himself always as "Christian Donalitius" as this is the latinized form, and it was a "fashion" at this time for univerity educated scholars to latinize their names as a hommage to the old roman scholars. As he choosed this name by himself, and he seemed to have it used in every language he has written (according to sources he also wrote texts in german, and he spoke also french, greek and hebrew), I agree to use his self choosen name Donalitius in respect for this poet.

May I suggest a solution that could satisfy all - German, Lithuanian and incognito alikes? Since he wrote his name in Latin, let's call him Roman poet and end this argument!
By the way - has it been decided yet, was Copernicus German or Polish scientist?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software