Forum of Lithuanian History

Forum of Lithuanian history is a place for discussion on the urgent problems of the Lithuanian history. Share your opinions!

Moderator of the forum - Tomas Baranauskas

Our website - Medieval Lithuania
viduramziu.istorija.net/en/

[ Taisyklės ] [ Правила ] [ Rules ]

Medieval Lithuania
Search | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "История вынуждена повторяться, потому что никто ее не слушает." Лоренс Питер
- (Added by: Tomas Baranauskas)

1731 encyclopedia entry "Litthauen"
[Frozen]

View previous thread :: View next thread
  Frozen      FORUMS -> Forum of Lithuanian history Message format 

incognito
Posted 2011-06-01 16:25 (#84677 - in reply to #84673)
Subject: RE: 1731 encyclopedia entry "Litthauen"

Many modern authors not realise what they have in mind using term Lithuania. I don't find any logical explanation. J.H. Zedler's text is quite normal. Wrote about Lithuania everything that he knew.

I almost sure that it was Polish fault who applied usage to all Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Ruthenia and Samogithia as Lithuania. Commonwealth, i.e. Poland consisted of two parts - Crown and Lithuania - Korona i Litwa. Type in this expression in Google and you'll see lots of explanations. Problem, that most are in Polish. So Lithuanian nationalists took such expressions - word Lithuania itself is fetish for many - and privatized this Litwa as own part. While Ruthenians were majority in this Lithuania. Paradox is that Lithuanian nationalists hates Poles, but took Polish understanding of Commonwealth.

Sorry, I gave link not to John Senex's map is not from 1721, but from 1719, but this date changes nothing. The map by Matthaus Seutter, 1730 http://www.raremaps.com/gallery/enlarge/27023 (large file) gives the same 3 regions. Probably author realised that usage of Lithuania is incorrect, not accurate, so in map you'll see Proper Lithuania is showed.

Edited by incognito 2011-06-01 16:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software