Forum of Lithuanian History

Forum of Lithuanian history is a place for discussion on the urgent problems of the Lithuanian history. Share your opinions!

Moderator of the forum - Tomas Baranauskas

Our website - Medieval Lithuania
viduramziu.istorija.net/en/

[ Taisyklės ] [ Правила ] [ Rules ]

Medieval Lithuania
Search | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "История - это союз между умершими, живыми и еще не родившимися." Эдмунд Берк
- (Added by: Tomas Baranauskas)

Would we be better off together?Poland/Lithunia-lost brotherhood
View previous thread :: View next thread
       MULTILINGUAL -> Multilingual Forum of Lithuanian history Message format 

Questions
Posted 2012-10-07 00:15 (#91930 - in reply to #91830)
Subject: RE: Would we be better off together?Poland/Lithunia-lost brotherhood

Expert

Mr.Lombard - 2012-10-01 10:31

Dear Friends, I often ask myself -would we be all better off together today if we stayed one country?

I know Poles feel good about Lithuanians, however I was surpised reading some of the news stating Lithuanians do not trust/like the Poles.

Why would this be?
We have been one glorious country for centuries, we were the largest and strongest state in Europe. The Commonwealth was growing ecnomically and had an impresive military until late 1600s.
Would Lithuania be better with Poland instead of joining USSR?

I was always wondering-do you guys consider those times since Yagiello thru all those ceturies as a commonwealth as positive as we do (as they teach us in schools)? OR was it a negative experience for you guys?

Do Lithiunians retain any of the sentiment to our brotherhood as we do? 

Yagielo was politician and he did his personal union with Poland accepting Polish throne.
During Grand Dutchy Lithuania had own laws, own army, own treasury. We even didnt support each other, Dutchy refused and didnt participated in Vienna campain against Turks. Polish king refused to help Dutchy against Swedish campain and by miracle we had won on our own at Salaspils 1605.
Overall increasing Polish culture and political influence on Great Dutchy was destructive and starting 15 century after each upcoming "union" we got weaker, shrinking in territories loosing national identity

By the way, can polish historians tell about massive colonization of some territories of Lithuania by poles
Specialy interested in dates: what centuries or what year colonists from greater Poland came, colonized Wilno, settled in all east Lithuania?

Thank You

Edited by Questions 2012-10-07 00:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software