Forum of Lithuanian History

Forum of Lithuanian history is a place for discussion on the urgent problems of the Lithuanian history. Share your opinions!

Moderator of the forum - Tomas Baranauskas

Our website - Medieval Lithuania
viduramziu.istorija.net/en/

[ Taisyklės ] [ Правила ] [ Rules ]

Medieval Lithuania
Search | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes." Voltaire (1694 - 1778)
- (Added by: Tomas Baranauskas)

1st Lith book published in Kaliningrad
View previous thread :: View next thread
       MULTILINGUAL -> Multilingual Forum of Lithuanian history Message format 

Marius, A.
Posted 2013-08-20 16:54 (#94557 - in reply to #94552)
Subject: RE: 1st Lith book published in Kaliningrad

To be honest, I don't think, that Koenigsberg, Королевец, Karaliaučiaus, not to mention Kaliningrad, could serve as historical names of the city. In fact, as we all know, Koenigsberg has been the fortress' name until 1724, when it formed the city together with nearer suburbs of very different names. That's why I hope, that the only perfectly fitting historical name is Twangste

I would like to disagree here. The history of Twangste ended with its devastation and emergence of Koenigsberg on its place. I am not sure, but it seems that even Prussians themselves did not retain the former name and used Kunnegsgarbs or Knigsberg instead.

As for suburbs, all growing cities expand by merging with smaller adjoining suburbs, i.e. it is a natural process.

In my previous post I was questioning the second root of this place name ("the mountain"), but Latin and Prussian forms prove that I was wrong, which means that neither Lithuanian, nor Polish or Church-Slavonic names were exact translations. And yes, you are right, the Polish origin in this case seems quite a good explanation. Another argument for this is that the first root in Karaliaučius is "Karal-" and not "Kuni(n)g-", which can not be very old. However, I can not understand the reason of this, having in mind that Lithuanians had to know this castle and town from its very beginning in 13th century. Moreover, the root "-kalnis" is so common in Lithuanian and Latvian place names that it would be more natural to use it instead of slavoniced suffix, especially if you have more Prussians and Germans in your neighbourhood rather than Poles in Lithuania Minor.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software