Forum of Lithuanian History

Forum of Lithuanian history is a place for discussion on the urgent problems of the Lithuanian history. Share your opinions!

Moderator of the forum - Tomas Baranauskas

Our website - Medieval Lithuania
viduramziu.istorija.net/en/

[ Taisyklės ] [ Правила ] [ Rules ]

Medieval Lithuania
Search | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "This only is denied to God: the power to undo the past." Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC), from Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics
- (Added by: Tomas Baranauskas)

Paliokas name
View previous thread :: View next thread
       FORUMS -> Lithuanian Genealogy Message format 

Marius, A.
Posted 2014-01-15 21:06 (#95198 - in reply to #95192)
Subject: Re: Paliokas name

I do not have access to any register or dictionary of surnames, but taking a look at the phone book might be also a good idea to start with.

Both surnames ar not very common in the phone book - I have found only 3 Paliokas and 4 Miliūnas families in Marijampolė municipality. Another 3 Paliokas families could be found in adherent Vilkaviškis and Lazdijai municipality. Miliūnas surname is more common than Paliokas and in addition to those mentioned municipalities could also be found in Kalvarija municipality.

Of course, most people nowadays use cellular phones, so the wired phones do not cover all the area and are more common to bigger towns rather than villages, but still the phone book might help. If you are looking for the location in which both surnames are present, the most promising place apears to be one of these two neighbouring villages, which are located in 3 km distance from each other, namely:

1) Meškučiai village (Meškučių k., Marijampolės sen., Marijampolės sav.), where one Paliokas family (the entry is Paliokaitė) is mentioned in the phone book;
2) Skaisčiūnai village (Skaisčiūnų k., Marijampolės sen., Marijampolės sav.), where one Miliūnas family (the entry is Miliūnienė) is mentioned.

Another possible place is the Marijampolė town itself.

However, if Katie wants to know for sure, as a next step, I suppose, she should look at the birth records in churches which cover that area. Unfortunatelly, I do not know if they are digitised and available over the internet.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software