Forum of Lithuanian History

Forum of Lithuanian history is a place for discussion on the urgent problems of the Lithuanian history. Share your opinions!

Moderator of the forum - Tomas Baranauskas

Our website - Medieval Lithuania
viduramziu.istorija.net/en/

[ Taisyklės ] [ Правила ] [ Rules ]

Medieval Lithuania
Search | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Kein größerer Schaden kann einer Nation zugefügt werden, als wenn man ihr den Nationalcharakter, die Eigenheit ihres Geistes und ihrer Sprache nimmt." Immanuel Kant
- (Added by: Tomas Baranauskas)

Old Prussian town, now in Klaipeda Country?
View previous thread :: View next thread
       FORUMS -> Lithuanian Genealogy Message format 

Baltika
Posted 2015-05-09 00:52 (#96510)
Subject: Old Prussian town, now in Klaipeda Country?

New user

After years of searching, I have finally succeeded in putting together some basic information about our family name, which we were always told was German. I now know that we are, in fact, Old Prussian descendants, and the original form of the surname was Kapka. Recently I was told through contacts in Prussian "clubs" that there used to be a village by the same name in Memelland. (Our great-grandfather came from Memel, so this makes sense.)

I understand that the place names in that region went through Germanization, then later, Lithuanization, so tracing the Prussian place names could be very difficult. Is there any hope someone might know about this village, and where, exactly, it is, or was, located? Could anyone provide an etymology of this name, or any other information about it?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software